Thursday, January 19, 2012

Some Mo' Samosas Please!

Very pleased with the outcome of todays dishes!! Yesterday we learned about the Indian culture. I was excited to cook today because ive never had Indian food before, just a thought of what it might be like. (SPICY and FULL of flavor!) & Todays dishes was just that.

TURNIP, POTATO AND GREENS CURRY: This dish was simple yet really good, definately full of flavor. We used Spinach, turnips, potatoes, ginger, green chile, mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, s&p, and tomatoes. As you can see the spices used are strong ones! But this dish was so good. I served it with Basmati Rice and Pickled carrots and celery I had made (from vinegar, salt, sugar, cumin and a little bit of pepper. That came out good too (if you like pickled things....I do!)
                                              
 This is the same thing, except the pinkish stuff is RED BEET RAITA. I was pretty surprised at how much I liked this!! Its, Red beet (I roasted it in the oven first thing), with a mixture of yogurt, sugar, salt, cumin, sesame seeds (i didnt use that today), Scallions and cilantro. I saw some fresh mint leaves and imagined it going well with this mixture so I put some in there, and it went OH.SO.Well (yayya). The beets are to be folded into the yogurt mixture after being cut and not so much that it turns pink. I forgot to add LIME (which really adds a good kick to it) so i had to mix more than I wanted to. But it doesnt hurt, it just looks more pretty with the white and red swirls=]
   Me Preppin for the Samosas *Big Smile*
SAMOSAS
Sooo easy to make. And so DEE-LISH!!lol the Filling is...Cumin seeds, ginger, serrano chile (or jalapeno or what ever chile you prefer, i say the hotta' the betta'!) Shallot, Russet potato, sweet potato, salt, green peas, and cilantro. The dough was very easy to make too. Just flour, black pepper, turmeric, ghee (very clarified butter) baking soda, warm water and a pinch of salt. Just knead it for about 5 minutes, let sit for about 30min, the roll out!!=] The Green stuff is Green Chutney (serrano chile, shallots, lime juice, mint leaves, cilantro, fresh ginger, sugar, yogurt, and water and salt as needed) This was SPICY!! but GOOD!! It went too well with the Samosas. I want some more already!!!

Hope you all are enjoying the different cultures of food as much as I am!! I get to learn to make SUSHI next! I can not WAIT until i get to coook for family and friends!

Love&Peace
Deuce.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment